<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Ohohia - The Pacific-Crossing Attempt

This is a journal of my progress toward my goal of flying a model airplane from Hawaii to California. The inspiration for this project originally came from the Aerosonde, which is not technically a model airplane, but my desire to do this was really driven by the STAR team. They succeeded at flying a model airplane across the Atlantic! It was merely proof that it can be done.


Links
Resources
archives


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Note that entries appear in reverse chronological order

Friday, May 14, 2004

Don't Tell Me I Can't Do It! 

After reviewing the AMA rules earlier in the year, I discovered they added a clause saying that no model airplane may be equipped with a system to allow for autonomous flight.

I'll refrain from pointing out how ridiculous that restriction is, but it doesn't mean I can't do it. I just means AMA insurance won't cover me if I do. It also means I can't break any existing autonomous flight records under AMA rules.

But just because someone or some text somewhere leads me to believe that the practice of building an autonomous model aircraft is somehow not allowed, doesn't mean I don't want to do it. In fact, it gives me motivation to forge ahead. The more someone tries to restrict it, the harder it makes me want to push to preserve that freedom. I mean, come on - think it through! It's ludicrous! Next thing you know, someone will pass a law saying it is too dangerous to tie your own shoes! Get a grip!

The Ohohia project just may happen one day, afterall...

Comments: Post a Comment